I made curry recently too.
I don't often use curry roux because a friend of mine is allergic to wheat, and most of the boxed roux contains it. Since she was over, I made my own roux using rice flour. Tasty and easy! If you don't have to worry about someone with gluten sensitivity, you can substitute regular flour for the rice flour.
Japanese Curry -- Gluten-Free!
* 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
* 1-2 onions, thinly sliced
* 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
* 1 tsp grated garlic
* 2 Tbsp rice flour
* 1 Tbsp curry powder
* 2 1/2 c. chicken stock or beef stock
* 1/2 tsp garam masala
* 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
* 2 small-to-medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
* 1 lb chicken or beef, cut into 1" cubes
SautÃƒÂ© the onions in the butter or oil until the onions are caramelized and brown. Add the ginger, garlic, rice flour, and curry powder, and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Add the broth, carrots, potatoes, and meat, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are cooked through and you can't wait any more. (; Serve over rice, with some pickled vegetables on the side.